Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 with an octa core processor running at a speed of 2GHz was launched in 2017 starting with a price range from Rs. 9,999. In terms of looks, it has a metal body with round edges which gives it a smart look. It has a sleek body with light weight and is easy to handle. The package contains your smartphone, MI power adapter, SIM insertion tool, warranty card/user guide and USB cable. It offers attractive specifications with affordable price range. Let’s have a look at the specifications:
MIUI8 (Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow), Snapdragon 625
Redmi Note 4 offers a 5.5-inch full HD display.
- Brightness level can be adjusted according to your convenience.
- A reading mode is also provided which can be turned on to reduce display’s blue light emission which is harmful for eyes.
- There’s a Goodnight’s read option provided which will switch to reading mode after sunset automatically.
- Contrast and colors can also be adjusted according to convenience. Three different options are provided under
- Colors: Warm, Standard and cool.
- Contrast: Automatic Contrast– Optimises contrast for available light. Increased contrast: Increases display contrast, Standard- Contrast will remain constant
- Font size can be adjusted from XS to XXL.
- There’s an option provided to double tap screen to wake as well which will turn your screen on tapping.
- Different themes are also provided for a better look.
This smartphone was launched in three variants according to in-built storage and RAM. It is available in the following three variants:
- 32 GB Internal Storage, 2GB RAM
- 32 GB Internal Storage, 3GB RAM
- 64 GB Internal Storage, 4 GB RAM
32 GB/64GB storage is available according to the model you purchase. The storage is expandable upto 128 GB by inserting a SD card.
The smartphone offers a metallic body in four different colours: Gold, dark grey, black and lake blue. The colours available are quite good and gives it a smarter look.
It offers 5 MP Front camera and 13 MP Rear camera. The front camera supports Face detection and HDR imaging. The face detection feature detects your approximate age and gender. Different filters are also provided to so you’re your picture looks a little different and good. Different modes such as Panorama, Straighten, Manual, HHT,Beautify, Scene, and Tilt Shift can be used to get different kinds of pictures It works great in daylight.
It has a 4100 mAh battery which enables fast charging. Battery performance is quite good. it can last up to 10 hours in an average day.
It is light in weight and weighs around 165 grams
Dual sims can be used. One Nano-SIM and one Micro-SIM or a microSD card can be inserted.. Primary sim supports 4G, 2G and 3G calls and data whereas the secondary one supports 3G calls only. A slot for inserting SD Card is also provided. Apart from that, Bluetooth, Wifi connectivity is provided. GPS is also available for accessing location. It has a hybrid slim slot which can be opened using the sim insertion tool provided with the package.
- Fingerprint sensor: There is a Fingerprint Sensor at the back which helps in quickly unlocking your smartphone and ensures security. Nobody else will be able to unlock it without your fingerprint.
- Dual apps: You can operate dual apps on your smartphone using this feature. For example: having two WhatsApp accounts.
- Speakers are placed at the bottom for audio clarity.
- You can experience a good gaming experience because of 4GB RAM and 14 nm FinFET technology. Since, storage is also sufficient, it can give you a smooth gaming experience.
- A feedback option is provided which is inbuilt. You can describe any issue you have encountered and or give any suggestions. You can report bugs every time you encounter problems which will help in faster problem solving.
- There’s a screen recorder feature which lets you record videos for anything happening on your screen. It is useful if you want to explain anything to your friend properly.
- MI remote feature lets you use your smartphone as a remote for a TV, Setup box, Air conditioner, Fan, DVD Player, projector, camera. It can prove to be useful if you are not able to find your remote and do not want to miss your favourite show or maybe when your remote is not working.
- Second space: This feature lets you create a second space on your phone which is a unique feature. You can manage your private files in the second space.
- Quick ball: There is a button which stays all the time on your screen and lets you decide five shortcuts for accessing them easily if you switch on the Quick Ball feature.
As per my opinion, Redmi Note 4 will be a smart buy if you are looking for an affordable smartphone with some good specifications and longer battery life. I’ll give it a 5 star in terms of value for money. It gives a tough competition to others in terms of pricing. However, it needs to work on the camera image quality. It fails to take great shots in low light. The camera quality is good in daylight. You cannot expect much in such budget though. One of the drawback includes hybrid Sim slot as well. You need to insert the pin given to open the slim slot which doesn’t seem to be convenient for users. Apart from that, the number of preloaded apps should be reduced. It comes with numerous preloaded apps such as Scanner, Compass, MI Community, Recorder, etc. Recent purchases report that it heats up while charging which is not a good thing in terms of safety. Keeping these drawbacks side, Redmi Note 4 is a great buy in terms of design, specifications and value for money.
Battery performance: 9/10
Overall, I will give it 9/10 which is a good buy.